We review the 5 best rugby boots for backs 2017-18. This is the ultimate list of the top 5 best rugby boots for backs playing on soft ground (SG).
It doesn’t matter whether you’re a scrum half, fly half, centre, wing or full back we’ve reviewed the best rugby boots to match your playing position.
1. adidas Predator Malice Control SG review
Using legendary predator technology in the forefoot for kicking accuracy, they are lightweight and made with soft performance material. The new stud configuration offers stability in all conditions. Kickers can command the ball in all conditions with NON STOP GRIP (NSG), a thin layer of raised dots applied to the upper for increased control
- Asymmetrical lacing for a larger kicking sweet spot
- predator® technology in the forefoot
- SPRINTFRAME construction for improved stability
- SPEEDTRAXION high-speed soft ground (SG) stud alignment for maximum acceleration
- 10 mm heel raise for dynamic foot positioning
2. Nike Hypervenom Phantom III Anti Clog SG Pro review
For those who like to kick, there is a full Flyknit upper with new multi-layered Poron® foam pods integrated into a strike zone. Also, Flywire technology which sees the four lace holes either side of the laces Flywire technology which sees the four lace holes either side of the laces, complimented by offset lacing which gives a greater striking surface, this gives a more lockdown feel. Underneath anti-clog soleplate that helps prevent mud from sticking to the sole.
- ANTI-CLOG traction prevents mud from sticking
- Flyknit upper with improved strike zone wraps your foot fully
- Flywire asymmetrical lacing system
- HyperReactive plate for responsive stability
- Tongueless design helps reduce distractions
- Soft-ground (SG-PRO) studs configuration
3. Asics Gel Lethal Speed SG review
Constructed on a Solyte Midsole to enhance cushioning. It is also outfitted with HG10mm technology, raising the heel by 10mm, designed to shift the body forward, reducing strain on the lower limb and minimising the risk of injury.
- HG10mm Technology
- Kangaroo Leather Vamp upper for greater touch and durability
- Solyte® MidsoleHybrid upper construction provides performance and comfort
4. Puma evoSpeed 17 SL K Leather SG review
Designed for speed, these are perfect for backline players. Laser-cut SPEEDFRAME supports during forward acceleration and quick turns. Ultra-thin, K-Touch Upper’s leather creates exceptional touch.
- K-leather upper
- SPEEDFRAME for torsion stability
- Hybrid stud configuration for soft ground (SG)
Worn by: Elton Jantjies
5. Canterbury Speed 2.0 Elite SG review
Speed means lightweight and these are 35g lighter than the 2016 Speed Elite. The Airmesh synthetic upper carries minimal weight.The Speed 6 outsole plate is engineered for explosive and reactive agility, with a mixture of conical and removable studs. The diagonal forefoot flex works with your foot when changing direction at top speed. An 8mm heel raise provides a dynamic foot positioning and reduces lower limb strain.
- Airmesh lightweight synthetic upper
- Anti-slip lining and collar
- Hidden lacing for control
- Speed 6 hybrid outsole with diagonal flex
- Slim fit for dynamic fit
- 8mm heel raise reduces lower limb strain